11. Feb. 2021 (online-event)
In this conference project partners in Austria, Belgium and Portugal presented the curriculum for the SWaPOL training and discussed opportunities for future cross-disciplinary vocational trainings between police and social work in Europe.
Other outreach and dissemination activities
Adequate time was dedicated to outreach and dissemination activities:
Multiplier Event are organised in all partner countries. The aim of these events is to reach out for new national partners (social work and in police administration) where the training may be adopted in the future.
- Belgium: 29. Oct. 2020 (online)
- Austria: 6. Nov. 2020 (online)
- Portugal: 15. Jan. 2021 (online)
Conferences and public events:
- UREKA Annual Conference 2020 – The 5th international conference of the Urban Research and Education Knowledge Alliance
- European Society of Social Drug Reserach (ESSD) Conference 2020 – Vienna (online)
- European Society of Criminology (ESC) Conference – Ghent 2019
- European Society of Prevention Research (EUSPR) Conference – Ghent 2019
- European Crime Prevention Network (EUCPN) Conference Vienna 2018
Annemie Coone and Didier Reynaert (HoGent) presented the SWaPOL Curriculum at the international conference of UREKA – the Urban Research and Education Knowledge Alliance (hosted by Metropolia University of Applied Sciences in Helsinki – online – 16./17. Nov. 2020)
Günter Stummvoll participated in the 31. Annual Conference of the European Society of Social Drug Reserach ESSDR (Vienna – online – 25. Sept. 2020).
In 2019, the project SWaPOL was presented at the conference of the European Society of Prevention Research (EUSPR) in Ghent (16.-17. Sept. 2019), and at the conference of the European Society of Criminology (ESC) in Ghent (18.-21. Sept. 2019)
The project was presented at the Spring Meeting of the European Health Policy Group in April 2018 (Rotterdam), and at the Best Practice Conference of the European Crime Prevention Network EUCPN in Vienna in December 2018.
Media & News
- Porto: Rui Moreira defends criminalization of drug use on public roads
- Austria: Günter Stummvoll presented SWaPOL at the Austrian radio programme “Ö1 Punkt Eins” on “Nicht nur Law & Order: Bürgernahe Polizeiarbeit”
Trans-nationl project meetings:
- Kick-off Meeting: 18.-20. December 2018; Vienna, Austria
- Second trans-national project meeting: 17.-19. June 2019; Gent, Belgium
- The third trans-national project meeting was planned to be held in March 2020 in Lisbon (Portugal), but – due to the COVID19-crisis – was held online on 26. June 2020. A follow-up meeting was held on 9. Sept. 2020.
- The final project meeting was held on 11. Feb. 2021 (online).
Some impressions from our conferences:
In this article, authors from Belgium discuss the history of the relationship of social workers and police in relation to youth justice in the city of Ghent. First, the historical development of the social role of the police is presented. Second, the separation of welfare and justice in the police zone of Ghent is explained. Third, the blurred lines in practice between social work and policing are discussed, emphasising the risk of role confusion, arbitrary judgements in case management and challenges for communication between social workers and police officers.
- Biggs J. and Tang C. (2011): Teaching for Quality Learning at University. What the Student Does
Society for Research Into Higher Education. 4th Edition. Open University Press. Maidenhead.
- Parmar A. (2014): Methods of Social Work and Its Role in Understanding Team Climate and Team Effectiveness for Organizational Development. In: Journal of Sociology and Social Work. Vol. 2, Nr. 1. pp. 303-318. Published by American Research Institute for Policy Development.